Saturday, September 28, 2013

Welcome to Peru




Part of Chances new position is to be on the welcoming committee for incoming missionaries.
 
 
 
 
I have some questions for you: (the first 2 are from Grandma Boekweg)
 
1.  -     Is your apartment at, by, or close to the mission office? (He talked about taking calls until midnight)
    The apartment is about a 7 minute walk from the office. But my area is about a 45 minute walk from the office.... so that gets kind of old. You spend an hour just getting to area to proselyte.
 
2-     When he has to go out around Trujillo (i.e. taking a missionary to catch the bus) is it on foot or does someone drive?
       I usually walk. My companion is the mission´s financial secretary, so he is always looking to save money. In other words, we don't spend money on taxis unless somebody is missing a leg. Ha ha ha. But it´s all good. I love the walk. It's cool. We walk past the only Fender guitar store that I think exists in Perú. If only I could play guitar........  ha ha ha

3. Have you been healthy?
    Aside from some parasite symptoms, yes. That would be fun. It would be my own problem, as I am over the health of the missionaries.....

4. What do you do for P-day now?
     I usually have to work through it. People are always sick. Sister missionaries call me round the clock. Ha ha ha. I have never talked on the phone with girls so much in my life.... pretty ironic. This is another one of those things that I could only see happening to myself. Ha ha. I have only had 3 Pdays here, so I don´t really know yet.

5. From Eileen- So chance - how is the new area? Peanut Butter? Does that mean it's a pretty big city? What could you compare it to? Is it going to be easier to get packages and letters? Are you able to do something besides soccer now on pday? What do you usually do for service?
     Nutella is far superior to peanut butter, and they do have it here! The new area is weird. we got assigned to this place that is like a big construction site. It's basically empty. Nobody lives there yet, because none of the houses are finished. But we also have a really poor area of the city too. There aren´t really any skyscrapers here, it's just like endless amounts of suburbs and apartments. But it is really dirty. I think I compared it dirty Madrid or something. La plaza de armas aquí en Trujillo parece exactamente como una parte de España, pero creo que todavía, hay menos edificios y cosas así.

6. Did you get Dads letter?
    Yes. By the end of the first paragraph, I cried. Thank you so much for writing me. Especially such a long letter. As a missionary, there are few joys greater than reading mail from your family. So it's always good when you find that a letter will take you a long time to read. It takes you home for just a second. I was glad to hear about all the things going on at home. I know it´s not easy for you to write letters. It's not easy for me to type. I understand perfectly. But I love you too. Did they get you to trade, your heroes for gold? Hot ashes for trees? Hot air for a cool breeze? Cold comfort for change? Did you exchange, a walk on part in the war for a lead role in a cage? Righteous. Rock on, my father.

7. It takes so long for me to ship you anything that Ive been thinking about Christmas and if you will need a calling card to call us? I have a package ready to go (not your Christmas package) and I can put a calling card in it so you will have it for sure. Should I?
    No calling card. I get to Skype. 40 minutes. I'll be doing it here from the office. I hope I myself can get it figured out. 
  
I love you. Things are crazy here. Still haven´t had time to take pictures.  *The pictures on here are from Sister Marlers Blog.
-Elder Boekweg

20 new missionaries
 

Helping with the Sisters luggage
 
 

Welcome to Peru
 

1 comment:

  1. Ha! That's so funny about the sister missionaries calling. Watch out, cause if Chance is in an area where they're serving he'll be asked to give them a blessing every other day. Ha. Crazys. :)

    ReplyDelete