Monday, January 5, 2015

Lots of Sand

Mom,

1. Tell us about your new companion?
    He is from El Distrito Federal, Ciudad de Mèxico, Mèxico. As Mexican as a man can be. He's cool. He likes hot food, and is 19 years old. He will be heading home in 2017........
 
 
**Thank you Sister Marler for the pictures!
 Elder Rivera and his trainer, Elder Boekweg.

Elder Boekweg started with a selected reading from Preach my Gospel.


2. Will you get another mission pres for the other Trujillo mission in July?
    ​Yes. Presidente Rios, who is currently a bishop in Chiclayo​


3. What have you found out about your new area?
     ​LOTS OF SAND. It's a beach. ​It's is also by far the poorest place I've ever had, and by far the most dangerous....... last night, we were walking home, and the power went out. Complete blacknes, except for the moon. we started to hear breaking windows and animals screaming. It got nuts. I picked up  a big rock...... y'know...... just in case. Ha ha ha.


4. What are you staying in? With the comment about the people living in tents I wondered if there were apartments for you to stay in?
​   We live above a small fruit store. Smells good...... finally. Ha ha ha ha. THAT in itself is a big blessing. But there is another part of our area that we are exploring that the people just live in houses made of four cut down tree posts, and tarps for walls stretching inbetween. Crazy, right. This is poverty that surprises me even after having been here for a long time...... a person could not have less than these people have...​


5. Are there businesses in your new area? How do you use internet?
​   Same. Little tiendas that have internet​


6. What are the responsibilities of a trainer?

​    an extra hour of studies every day........................................ and in general just showing the new guy all the ropes. It's cool. Even my comp from Mexico thinks this place is poor. ha ha ha ha ha. He's rich though, I think.​


7. You didnt mention any of your other Christmas presents, did you like them?
    ​I loved them. I have my banjo picture by my bed. I did not expect it. I was expecting you to at least wait until my birthday for. But I knew if I was persistent, I might eventually get it. Ha ha ha ha ha! It only took me a year and a half of asking.
BYU tie is my offical "pday tie" I love it
Alien slingers are sweet. Ha ha ha
Thank you!​


8. Who did you give the other presents to?
    ​Oddly, nobody I was with needed them this year. We were blessed. So Elder Gonzalez got them.

10. Still eating seafood by the ocean?
​ Yes. Ha ha ha
 
 
Things​ are pretty crazy here in Alto Moche. We have huge Incan ruins in my district. In fact, some of the Elders have to proselyte basically on top of them. Ha ha ha. People still live there. 

I need you to pray for my comp and I to find new people to teach. We are opening a new area, and are building from the ground up. 

​DAD: I NEED WHEELS. Don't forget the truck or car or whatever. I cannot be homebound when I get back. I definitely need to drive. Your time is running out. Ha ha ha ha ha I love you though.
 

 
My "kid" (his new companion) calls me "the nazi" all the time. He says I look like one....... pretty much everyone tells me the I don't look "gringo," but German. Is it true? They say there is a difference, but I don't notice even one. Ha ha ha.
 

The lady just tapped my shoulder...... my time is up. 

I love you all! I'll send pictures next week, hopefully! (Though I make no promises)

-Elder Boekweg

No comments:

Post a Comment