Monday, September 1, 2014

New Socks!

Mom -

Another week flown by.... bueno, Chimbote is the tierra prometida. In other words, Chimbote rocks. I have never had help from the members before here. I am used to having to carry the whole or branch on my back, but the members actually help here! I rode in a TRUCK on Sunday to go pick members up with a member named Felix. I smiled like an idiot the whole time because after having been the only person who cared about the work for so long, I was too happy to contain it. It reminds me of the apple in CasaGrande. I only had 8 or 9 weeks in the mission and was really missing a few things from home. Then I found an apple that appeared miraculously. I cried when I found it, because I knew what it was. I knew what it tasted like. It was something I was familiar with. I cried the whole time I ate it. I'll have to tell you more of the things that happened in CasaGrande later....... there really were some miracles that took place there. I didn't write them in my journal or write home about most of them, because they were kind of sacred to me at the time, but I can testify that God knows us and our needs, and loves us so much that He is willing to give us the things that will make us happy.

 
1. When and why did you eat hamster or guinea pig?
     Casa Grande we ate Kui, (Guinea pig) beacause that was what the husband of my pensionista brought home that day.
 
2. Is the food going to improve in the city?
    No..... rice still. The only difference is that we eat in a different room than our pensionnista now, so I can easily pass the gross things to my latin companion. Ha ha ha ha.
 
 3. Still have a maid?
     We do not have maids. Pensionista only cook and wash clothes. But they leave the house to us missionaries. They never enter our houses.
 
4. What is your apartment like now? Hot water?
     Hot water yes. Finally. The trick is that the water in Chimbote shuts off after 10. So you'd better wash your hands and things in the morning. bvvvvt.
 
5. Should I have Larry send the camera or can you buy one in Chimbote?
    Whichever is easier. I can buy one today.
 
 6. Is it warmer in Chimbote?
     Chimbote is hot. Funny qoute about the mission: "We have hot water when we want cold water, and cold water when we want hot water."
 
7. You should be getting 2 packages right away from gma Boekweg and me. Let me know if there is anything else you need?
    Could you send me a yoga workout routine? That would be sweet. I need to balance my Chi levels every now and then. Seriously though, it would be cool.

Here are a few things that came to my mind this week:
 
Linzi Kelsey: You are getting incredibly good at drawing. I couldn't believe how cool that album cover idea was. I am going to try to put it on a shirt here, becasue it only costs 3 dollars. Send me more! THANK YOU FOR THE SWEDISH FISH AND OREOS.............. 

Funny story: we were talking with an old lady when she told us the story about her husband who had an enlarged heart. (I guess that is actually deadly.) She told us that the doctor asked her husband had been cheating on her. When she said no, the doctor said, "that's odd, because a man with a heart this large could easily love up to 2 or 3 women." Me and my companion laughed just long enough to see that she wasn't kidding........ She really believed that that could be a side effect of an enlarged heart! That's what you get here for medicine, sometimes. Deedre ought to love that one. That was the serious explanation of the sickness.....

Let's see...... There is a gang here in my area called the "pecho rojo" gang. The "red chests." Apparently, they bust quite a few people up.... but I guess they mostly stick to their hill. It's their territory. I don't fear them though. It's sort of hard to believe that a few young idiots could hope to beat angels in a fight. HA! Also, I usually scare the living daylights out of people now. Huge muscles, and all.......

There's a lot of new missionaries in my zone, and they all call me "old." It's weird to think that I have become their "Elder Young." It's come full circle now. Funky.
 
 
Tell uncle I love him.
 
Tali: she's at BYU!

Tell dad he is cool. I use his "be where you are" quote in pretty much every meeting I have to teach something in. I want to do that same hike with him next summer. Sorry your beard is gone. man.

I got Grandma Boekweg's package and I am LOVING having new socks. I put them on and thought, "Now I remember what new and clean socks feel like." It's like heaven on your feet. I didn't realize it, but all my socks are severely beat up.

Anyway, I love you all. One more week, eh? Enjoy it all! New school year, couple holidays coming up, snowfall soon. Awesome. 

- Elder Boekweg
 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment